Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hey look! Even MORE stupidity!



I just cannot believe the level of stupidity in this country. Or better yet, the complete and utter loss of common sense. Really.

%$#$#@%$#%@#%$#%$@!@!@#!%@$!

I got so incredibly angry today. I'd gone to Long's to pick up a prescription. There was only one person in front of me; a crusty old fellow in a wheelchair. I was slightly uncomfortable as he seemed to be getting into it with the woman behind the counter. 'Oh great', I thought, "he's complaining about not getting some senior discount or something.' Boy, wsa I wrong. All he was trying to do was buy cold medecine. Sudafed, to be exact. I'd forgotten about that pesky new federal law that says you have to have approved photo ID in order to buy anything with phenadr...no, pherad...nope, umm, how about phara...fuck it. The stuff used to make meth.

So here you have a 75-year old wheelchair bound veteran with the sniffles, and he's being told they can't sell him Sudafed because he doesn't have the correct ID. He's got his veteran's card, complete with photo, but that doesn't qualify. "I used this at the airport and they had no problems," he said. "And it gets me in and out of the hospital too." No luck.

Now, the women at the counter were polite but firm, and I can't fault them for doing their jobs and following federal stupidity -- pardon, I meant to say laws. But it kind of creeped me out too. Like, did they really believe this guy was gonna go home and cook hisself some meth and throw a party with the other vets or something? No! Man, if that was me, I'd so have let him just buy it. I mean really. And if he was some cracked-out meth fiend; if he was really gonna ramp up his stash by buying it one box at a time from different Longs Drugs around the peninsula, in a wheelchair, then shit, I think he's earned the right to get fucked up!

Have I mentioned this just irritated the everliving crap out of me? Because it did. To the point where, when I went up to the counter I asked for my prescription and the box of Sudafed. There was no way I was gonna be a party to making that old man have to come back to the store with proper ID just to get some fucking cold medication. But he rolled out of the store and was gone before I could give it to him. And do you know why? Because it took nearly 15 minutes to complete the transaction. Oh yeah! They've got to enter which type of approved ID you have into the cash register (which she didn't know how to do,) the number of your ID, and then, after all that, there's a FORM you have to fill out too! I was seriously grinding my teeth by the time it was all over. I even apologized to the cashier and told her I wasn't mad at her, but that all of these hoops were ri-di-cu-lous. She didn't disagree.

I swept the store twice to see if my veteran was maybe still shopping for beauty products, or even reading Maxim in the magazine section, but no luck. I even asked the cashier, "Which way did he go? Which way did he go?" to no avail. So if you're reading this, wheelchair guy, I tried! And I still have your Sudafed in my truck!!

Now, I know there is an idea that if you are going to be critical of an idea or a plan or whatnot, that you have a suggestion if not a solution to that which you are being critical of. I'm not gonna pretend that I have a solution to the US meth problem (or math, for that matter.) But FUCK, people! It just totally feels like the government and law enforcement can't do their jobs, and so *everyone* has to pay the price. And can I offer you a side of Big-Brother-is-watching-you while we're at it? Or how about a steaming mug of We-don't-trust-any-of-our-citizens!

It just *bang!* makes me *bang!* want to *bang!* smash my head *bang!* into a *bang!* brick wall! *bang!*

And I'm sure if I wait long enough, there'll be a law against that too. I do SO like having my government shove rules and laws down my throat because they think I can't take care of myself or anyone else. F U C K !

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just so retarded. Good for you for trying to do the right thing!

Funny thing - someone here in my office just asked if anyone had any pseudiphed. It was all I could do not to call the cops. ;)

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Liz said...

jesus fucking christ how annoying.

That Longs Drugs is a pit of heartless vipers, I swear to god.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home