Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Eavesdropping

I overheard a fascinating conversation in the computer lab. Two students were chortling about some guy they knew, who wanted to make an 'earth sandwich'. His idea was to slap a piece of bread on the ground at exact opposite sides of the globe at the same time. I think there was going to be some photodocumentation involved too. Anyhow, in order to determine exactly where the other side of the earth was, he whipped up some program that used Google Earth. You'd enter your address, and the program would use the Google framework to determine where this other point was. That way you knew where to contact someone to help you. Genius!

There was much raving about how cool his idea was, what a great idea it was, yadda yadda. I found myself struck by an extrovert moment and I blurted out, "Its the coolest idea since sliced bread!" Their laughter faltered a bit as their eyes stared blankly back at me. Luckily I had been enroute to the door, so I was able to make a somewhat graceful exit.

I thought it was funny, anyhow.... see, 'cause you need bread to make a sandwich, right?....

sigh.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Good one. They're just jealous that you're waaaay funnier than they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home