Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Suddenly Craving a Hamburger

I just spent an hour combing the web for liquid diet recipes for post-surgery. And in reading the meager recipes I've found out there, it just kind of hit me as to what not being able to chew for at least 6 months is really going to be like. Burritos? Right out. Meat that's not been blenderized? Basically gone. Bread? Not really. Pasta? Only if its in pieces small enough that I can swallow with some broth. Crunchy vegetables? A memory.

What it look slike I *will* be eating a lot of is strained soup, yogourt, soft fruits, juices, soft tofu, cream of wheat, protein powder, ensure shakes, and possibly even baby food.

I am trying to look at this as a good opportunity to look at what I eat, make better food choices, etc., however I think even the blender-half-full folks out there will admit that this diet is going to get old. Obviously it'll be harder in the beginging when my mouth is banded shut. And then I'll have to do stretching exercises to re-teach the muscles in my jaw to stretch and such so that I can actually fit a spoon into my mouth.

Things to buy before the surgery: a food chopper, a food processor, and this sexy item.

I am going to make the best pumpkin smoothie for Thanksgiving, though, even if all that ends up being is a straw in a can of premade pumpkin pie mix. :)

And I am going to run across the street to Johnny Sprockets right now. (drool)

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll make you some home made apple sauce from my grandpa's recipe and mush all the apples up really really well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home