Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trying Something New

I was at Whole Fuds the other day, and there in their produce section they had a display of fruits and vegetables arranged inside a blender, with the actual produce around it for you to buy. I suddenly had a (halogen) lightbulb go off over my head, and I frantically searched around te display to see if they actually had any recipes for making fruit/veggie smoothies.

Backing up the story a bit, I've really really REALLY been jonesing for some veggies lately. Specifically veggies that arent potatoes. Oh, potatoes are good enough for ya, but after months and months of little else besides that, one starts to crave other foods. Plus potatoes aren't known for their fiber content, if you catch my drift. No, my body has actively been craving green veggies and salads, which are a) still to crunchy and hard for my still healing jaw and b) even th eleafy stiff doesn't work because my jaw is out of alignment, and while I can crush some items between my molars, I'm not getting that sort of pestle/mortar action yet and leaves just kind of get lost in my mouth.

Greens, greens, greens! How to get them without just overcooking the shit out of them? (Also gets very old.) So I ran home (interwebs!) to find some recipes and lo! I dragged up quite a few. Mostly frmo raw food/vegan sights, but no one's perfect. :) One in particular caight my eye: a woman had posted a 30 day challenge for readers to change nothing else in their diet or lifestyle (although it was good if you *did* make other changes..) than eat a 'green smoothie' once a day. That's it. No prizes, not a contest, just a personal challenge. So I thought I'd giove it a try. Not for 30 days, mind you - my propencity for bailing or getting bored is much too strong, and then I'd have to deal with the guilt, and what iof they taste bad, blah blah blah - but for 7 days. I could hang with this for 7 days, AND I gave myself a get out of jail free card if the first day was totally nasty.

Yesterday was the first day, and I enlisted Husband to try it along with me. I had all the supplies: 4 apples, kale, and water. That's it. Oh, and a slapsh of lemon juice to cut the possible bitterness of the kale. Bonus for me, this was an opportunity for me to use my *cough* too expensive *cough* blender we'd picked up for the surgery. Needless to say wackiness ensued, there was diahrreah green sludge on my robe and the cabinets and we had to downsize to the standard blender.

Yes, it was very, very green. Yes, it smelled like nothing but kale. Yes, I made Husband drink first. "Its not bad," he said. "Yeah it totally smells like kale, but it tastes just like apples. Might chill it a bit before trying it next time," he said, and he finished the glass. So I tried some, and it tuerns out Husband wasn't kidding. It was not a s smooth as I like my smoothies (had to wait for the first blenter to COOOL DOWN so that I could puree it more,) but it wasn't bad at all. ANd not surprisingly I had to run to the toilet about an hour later. These pipes are CLEAN, boy howdy.

So I tried it again this morning. Pear, blueberries and more kale (sale, 2 bunches for $5.) Not terribly exciting, y'know, basically pureed pears with a touch of blueberry thrown in, and no real notice of the kale except for the inital bouquet. We'll see how long this goes on for. Would love to lose a few more pounds, I like not feeling as bloated through my middle, and its purported to help with acne, which I have plenty of post-surgery. However I also like eating warm foods not that my internal temperature is running low, and this, while not chilled, doesn't give you that warminig-from-the-inside sensation. Like I said, we'll see.

2 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird. a kale smoothie sounds strangely good. why why why? now i have to try it.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Traveling Em said...

Kale!! I miss kale. So, very much. But they don't eat it here because "we are not cows, Emily!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home