Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Eureka!

I am a self-professed Idea Girl. I always have been. For as long as I can remember, I've come up with fabulous, incredible, this-is-the-coolest-thing-ever ideas (remember: self-professed.) And 99% of my ideas are creative-artsy-fartsy based. When I was in grade school, I decided to cut the daily Snigglet out of my grandparents newspaper and glue them into a small book. This worked great - up until the point where I got behind on my cutting and gluing. When I was in Girl Scouts, my friends and I were going to enter the lyp synch contest and I had it all figured out: the song, the costumes, the make up. Too bad we spent all of our time lying around watching Little House on the Prarie reruns until it was the night before the contest (we didn't win.) In high school I actually got hired to make three RenFaire-ish costumes for the Madrigal choir. This actually got pretty far, until I realized how much I underestimated how much time I was going to need. Not pretty.

Glass etching, pinhole photography, stiltwalking costumes, calligraphy, stained glass, fiber optics lighting, tree houses - you name it, I've probably toyed with it.

In the past few years, I've really reined myself in: I've got a better (if not perfect) sense of long things take, will cost, and how much stress I'm willing to create to, well, create. I've nearly stopped buying random art/fabric supplies unless it is for an IMMEDIATE PROJECT that I will START AS SOON AS I GET HOME AND NOT START ANOTHER ONE UNTIL THIS ONE IS FINISHED (also another bad habit of mine.) I must say, while I am less actively creative these days, I am a more relaxed and happier person for having stopped the madness.

But still the ideas come. These days my ideas run more to the BMan vein. Costumes, art cars, random art displays, crazed mechaincal creations. I, of course, still think that most of these ideas, while mostly unrealistic on my time/monetary budget, are The Shiznit. Sadly, many if not most of them fall to the wayside, and never even get journaled to paper, much less created. My goal is to start at least writing them down, if only so that in 60 years, I can wet my Depends laughing at myself -- or to document my genius for my very own episode of Biography.

Oh look! A box came for me from Amazon! I wonder what it could be?....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home