Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, December 08, 2006

I have a headache

And no, this is not some public announcement letting Husband know that we're not going to be taking the skin canoe to beaver town tonight. Although we're probably not.

I've been having some real issues with headaches recently; or more correctly, with migraines. They started the Tuesday after turkey day - mayhaps some sort of a delayed allergic reaction to the midwest? - and have manifested themselves basically every day since then. Not only do I get really sensitive to noise and become unable to accomplish anything useful, I often get mild nausea with it as well. Extra not helpy. I called my doctor, who told me to take Excedrin migraine, which I was already doing. So, then she got me a prescription for Imaltrex, or something like that. That works most of the time, but not always, which is frustrating. Now, if I was the heroine of some trashy romance novel, I would be skilled in the healing arts, know how to go out and harvest the bark of some tree (willow, I believe,) to make some heinous-tasting-yet-very-effective brew, drink it out of a tall trencher, aaaaaand then have mad, passionate sex with some unpolished-yet-tender warrior (which is in fact completely unrelated, but fun so I'll throw it in anyhow.) Similarly, if I was said heroine, I would also be slender, beautiful beyond belief, know how to speak Gaelic, kind and generous, pious, skilled at bare-back horse riding, archery and knife-throwing, wily, know how to set bones, and also how to break them. You see what my chances of getting that willow-bark are.

But I digress.

I never had migraines until after Mags was born, and then really only as a precursor to Aunt Flo. No, that's not true. I would get them when I'd switch my meds or the dosages, and had quite a run when I tried some hormonal birth control (whoooeeee!) I guess it's better to say that I only get them when there is some obvious trigger, and then when that trigger stops, so do the migraines. So what the fuck is going on this time? No new meds, no period -- nothing! In addition to often being in pain, I'm incredibly frustrated. Sure, I've been given something to help with the pain, but I'm not actually fixing the reason why I'm getting them. Arg! So, I've got an appointment to see the doctor (of course not until a week from now) to see what she can find out.

If it is the meds, I think I'm gonna rip my hair out. I started them in February. If this is still my body adjusting, I...I just....I....I dunno what I'm going to to. Really, should it take this long to work out the kinks?

Even more frustrating is the fact that I have an appointment to see a different doctor the following week about my thyroid. I had really, really hoped to go in there on an even keel so that he could correctly assess what might be going on, but it'll probably be difficult if everything else in my body is sloshing around like dirty, headache-making water in a bucket! Arg!

This is one reason why I do not like to go see doctors. True, I like immediate gratification, and most times you are not going to get that with a doctor's visit. But especially with meds, this tendancy for one thing to get changed, which knocks something else off-balance. It's like a string on a sweater. You pull one part, and a bunch of it starts to unravel. Frankly, I already wasn't looking forward to seeing doctor #2 for this exact reason. It took 10 months (or so I thought) to work out this first round of meds. My god - what if he starts me on some entirely different program?!? Augh - can't think about that right now!

*ring, ring* Hello? Oh, hi, doc. What's that? You have something else for me to try? ... Uh huh. I see. Cheap historical romance novels. I see. ... Twice a day, okay.... Does it have to be with Fabio, or can I go for a generic hunk? Mmmm... Will insurance cover the cost of the batteries, or do I....ah. Right. Out of pocket for pocket rocket. Got it. Well, ok, I'll get right on it then. Thanks! *click*

Gotta go. Doctor's orders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home