Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Which leads me to wonder


Am I making too much of a tomboy out of Mags?

Oh sure, she loves her ratty, pink princess dress, complete with rainboots. And a large majority of the dress up/play fabrics she has are very glittery and/or shiny. And while I don't constantly dress her in pinks and hearts and flowers, I think she gets plenty of exposure to lots of different colors, and plenty of (non-princess) dresses.

But I watch her around Lil, and she just seems so far on the other end of the scale. She likes to play in the dirt more than LIl, is much more physical, plays with trains way more than dolls, and the only kids she gets any regular exposure to are all boys.

See, I'm doing that thing where I'm comparing again, which you just can't do with kids (hell, you shouldn't really do it with anybody.) I know that a) all kids will get there eventually and b) no two kids are the same. And really, I only have the one other girl to measure up against; maybe there are tons of future GLOW toddlers out there just waiting to meet my daughter and become fast friends.

And I don't really want her to turn into an ultra-fembot either. Tomboy is great. Fine. Wonderful. But should I expose her to more girly things and let her decide to go tomboy on her own? Less knife throwing and more tea parties? Less Burning Man and more ballet classes? Less pirates and more unicorns?

I guess I can't really get into too much trouble here. My guess is she'll either a) pick up new stuff from her peers and decide to go that route, b) decide anything her parents have exposed her to is uncool and swing wildly away and become a Young Republican (not to be confused with D. Bowie's 'Young American',) or c) will be completely happy with who she is and will end up having to tell her mom to chill the fuck out and stop worrying about it all the time.

Oh. I guess I feel better. I...think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home