Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mashed potatoes of STEEL!


Ok, I lie. They were scalloped.

Last night Husband, Mags and I were sitting at the table, eating what seemed to be an unchallenging meal of steamed salmon and scalloped potatoes. I took a scoop of spuds and *crunch*, I bite into what feels like a pretty hefty-sized pebble. I gracefully spat out the mush in my mouth and felt around for the offending item when - aauagh! A tooth fell into my palm.

Ok, I lie. It was a crown.

But still. My tongue immediately shot over to the part of my mouth where the crown normally resides and sure enough, there was a big gaping hole there, with just a hint of tooth stub poking out of the gum. To my tongue, the hole was the size of the Grand Canyon, dripping blood, open nerves swaying in my shuddering breath. For a brief moment I thought I was going to pass out. I tried to drink a swig of water to get the last of the potatoes out of my mouth-- not my best idea. This was followed by yet another bad idea - breathing with my mouth open. While there might not have been an entire forest of exposed nerves in there, there was enough sensitive stuff airing out to have to be reaaaaly careful. To avoid any other issues, I ran to the bathroom and superglued the crown back into place.

Ok, I lie. I got an actual repair kit from the pharmacy.

I'm not terribly suprised this happened, honestly. I do try to avoid flossing that area because when i try and pull the floss out, I can *feel* the crown being tugged on. However, after recently having the fear of god (or at least the tooth fairy) put into me this fall, I have been flossing like mad. Not quite sure why the catalyst was last night's dinner, though...

I've got an appointment to see my dentist this afternoon and have it re-cemented into my mouth. It looked undamaged, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they don't need to recreate the crown or anything. I'm sure it will be a super pleasant experience, without any stress, fear or pain.

Ok, I lie.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do lie, but it's cute.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Ouch! My mom had a crown come out in her chewing gum once, but I don't think it was even remotely as painful as yours was! Hers was more of a "huh. what's this crunchy thing in my gum?"

Good luck at the dentist! I have yet to find a new one here. Ok... that means I have yet to "look" for one here, but hey.. we just recently got a dental plan. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home