Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Idea!



So I found this cool picture on the internet and now I want to lasso about 50 of my friends (wait, I'm an introvert, I don't even *know* that many people!) ok, Max's friends together to help me make these cool butterflies for BM. They look super simple, like those flying pigs/mermaids/dragons you can get at CostPlus or whatnot. Two wings, a center body part, and I believe there will need to be some sort of hang-y weight thing dangling from the body. How cool would it be to walk under a flock? swarm? of these brightly colored bugs flapping overhead?!? And conveniently enough, this year's theme is 'Green Man', which is going to loosly translate into more nature crap on the playa than you can shake a fair-trade-harvested-organically-recycled-naked-hippie at.

I'd like to make them really big - say, 5' each? - like they are in the picture. I'm thinking foam core board. It's lightweight, and the design should be such that these'll fold up and travel pretty damn well. And there's a center in SF called SCRAP (something-mumble-reusable-art-supplies)where I think I'd be ablke to get *big* pieces of board el cheapo. In fact, I'd like to make them entirely out of salvaged art supplies and bits, and I think SCRAP is just the place to help me.

Nevertheless, even crazy cheap adds up, so if I was REALLY gonna do this, I could submit a proposal to the Art Council for BM, and possibly even get a small grant to do this. Ha! A proposal! Listen to me! I sound like I'd be strolling into a board room or something. Granted, this board room would probably be on the open, wind-swept playa, and there'd be a lone desk with a nude man wearing a bunny head sitting behind it, and I would have to drop acid before I gave it anyhow.

Blink, blink.

I need to iron a few details before I worry about the melty bunny man, however. Like, how would I suspend them? Would they get totally destroyed in the wind? Will I stab myself to a slow and irritating death with an exacto knife before I finish this project? Will the week suddenly produce an eigth day so I can actually do this? But its worth mulling over and blogging about.

I know! The Johnley's are coming to town next week for some hot snowbunny action in Tahoe with the gang. Being the mommy and not a particularly avid snowboarder, maybe I'll take some bare-bones materials to poke at this project, small scale. And make zombiegrrrl help me. :) Glue guns at the ready!

My guess is this idea will dwindle down to having a few - or maybe just one - at our camp to be used as a landmark. Oooh! Maybe I could somehow incorporate EL wire onto them so we could see them at night, too! *drool*

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of major concern would be what the wind and sand would do to these. They'd have to be somewhat super sturdy to survive the wind. Also not sure what kind of harness would be required to have these suspended overhead.

Other than that... sounds great! You can make me one! You know... since I won't be able to transport one from Boston. :)

I'd like to do some serious play in the snow at Tahoe (sledding, snow shoeing, something w/ you and Mags) but I'd totally be game for some sort of craft project. I can even bring my glue gun. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home