Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Seeking motivation

Mags and Husband are off at a co-worker's son's bday party, and I am home all alone nursing my new cold (she says, spraying snot all over the screen.) I ran one or two errands, caught up a bit on email, and had some lunch. But what I really should be doing is my homework. I've got a 10 page short story I need to write for my CW class -- more correctly, at least start -- and I'm having a helluva time. I just can't figure out where I want the story to go, what the conflict is going to be, or how to do any of it! Ack! I'm feeling very.... stuck. I can't even gripe about it creatively here! My new thesaurus just showed up today (gold-plating to soon follow,) but the descriptive part isn't where i'm stuck. I need a plot. No, I need a conflict, 'cause at least then i can work and fill in the rest of the story.

I'm getting antsy, because it feels like my precious alone-time-for-working is slipping away. PLus, now that i've gotten even more praise from my teacher, I almost feel a little pressure to perform. Well, from me, anyhow. How can I be so good at this one aspect of wtiting and draw a total blank in another?

What are some good generic conflicts, or one you'd want to see in a story sometime? Keep in mind, this is for a short story.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home