Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pros and cons of sewing

Maybe I should be more specific: sewing in the NUDE.

Now, before you choke on your frosted flakes, let me state for the record that this is a fairly common practice with home sewers. On the flip side, one would probably not be suprised to find that this is less everyday with people who work in the industry, as then there is no where to put your bus pass or cell phone.

But for those of us staking out our sewing homestead on the dining room table, thereby forcing the rest of our families to eat dinner at the toddler's play-doh table, this is old news. I can't speak for others, but I first got into the habit when sewing clothes for myself. Can I just tell you how much time I saved by not dressing/undressing each time needed to fit something to myself? Extra bonus, as I always underestimate how long things are gonna take -- those loose minutes here and there add up.

There are a many other benefits to sewing sans vetements:

* if its hot outside, you can laugh at all the people sweating.
* you hardly ever get asked to go out and see if the mail is there yet.
* husbands tend to find excuses to come over and brush stray threads off of you.
* if for some reason you just cannot be bothered to physically get up and go to the restroom, at least you won't have made extra laundry for yourself

However, for every naked action, there is and equal and opposite naked reaction. I offer a few for your perusal:

* pins can poke you in a whole new variety of places.
* suddenly, your short and curlies become a lint brush.
* if you have cloth-covered chairs, like, say, our new table set, the weave presses into your ass and makes it itch like hell when you stand up.
* friends tend to not ever want to sit down at your house.

So there you have it. Just in case you were suddenly thinking of making a costume or a career change, these are things you should keep in mind. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rip off my clothes and sew in the ray of sun pouring in through my skylight.

Sidenote: Check in next week for my next sewing related topic: "The Singer Weight-Loss Program, or How I Managed to Forget to Eat for 10 Hours While Sewing".

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

duuuuuuuuuuude. i want to hear about your new school projects and stuff. why is RC so far away?

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I really don't want to sit down at your place!

(tell me about this diet)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home