Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Smart Choices

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. Its no secret that I am terrible at taking care of myself, and that the way I order my priorities is a bit askew. But this weekend I made the right choice and am feeling pretty smug.

I had two large projects for school that were assigned last week and that unfortunately were both due today. They both involved drawing, which I really enjoy doing, but am very s l o w at. I started one on Wednesday, had Mags Thursday, and lost all of Friday to yet another trip to the doctor AND babysitting the daughter of a friend of mine. I ended up having to stay at home whilst Husband took Mags and said other child to the ranch over this most glorious of weekends. Grumble, grumble, grumble. But, I try hard to be a responsible student, and so I put on my big girl panties, rolled up my sleeves, and got to work. I literally set my alarm for 6am each day. Saturday I put myself to bed by 1030 pm, and had a few breaks during the day, but other than that worked like mad designing and drawing costumes for "The Magic Flute". Sunday I ran from fabric store to fabric store getting swatches for the aforementioned costumes until late afternoon. I stopped long enough to eat oocasionally, but not much else. Then I had to run from art store to art store to get the supplies needed to color these illustrations. That's when the trouble really began. Stores didn't have what I needed. Kinkos didn't have the paper I needed. What to do? What to do? Suddenly I was faced with having to pull an all nighter to get these assignments done, and that just made me incredibly angry and frustrated.

I thought about it for a while -- well, first I tried to get Husband on his cell phone to tell me what to do. Sadly he didn't answer, and I was forced to make a decision all by myself (gasp!) Should I play sick and just not go in? I'd lose all points for my late assignments if I did...and I try to not play that game. I used to do that fairly regularly, but these days I try not to lie to teachers about that. Its definitely harder to uck it up and tell the truth, but I've earned a lot of good karma points with both the universe and my teachers for being frank. So I decided to stop what I was doing because there's no way I could realistically get it all done, give myself the rest of the night off, get a good nights sleep, go to class in the am. and just turn in what I had.

And that's exactly what I did. I called some friends, watched "Batman Begings" (veru good!) went to bed at 10pm, and was relaxed and happy when I woke up this morning. My teachers weren't thrilled, but at least I showed that I had been working on them, and I ended up having a really good day.

Two months ago -- hell, last month -- I would have stayed up until it was all done, swearing and being angry, wrecking my sleep even more than it already is these days, and set myself up for a bad week. Golly, I'm actually learning! Sweet! Go me!

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very possibly you could ask right at the beginning... email both teachers, explain that they both assigned huge projects with the same due date, and ask for a couple of extra days. Worth a try if it happens again! Some teachers would say no, some would be more than happy to say yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home