Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Whoa.

So, Mags did something yesterday that really kind of startled me. Had to share.

Now, like all parents, I think that my child is wonderful, fabulous, the smartest child in the world, destined to be [fill in the blank], etcetera, etcetera. (What many non-parents don't realize is that before you leave the hospital with the kid you have to sign a contract agreeing to doing this. Part of the job description and all that. Very hush hush.)

Anyhow, we were driving home from daycare, and I was listening to my new secret shame, The Black Eyed Peas. Now, there are good songs on this album and some bad songs on this album. Truly, the "Love Hump" song, as parodied in "Blades of Glory"? Completely ridiculous (but I'll leave the music review for another time.) I was surfing through the disk, and Mags chirped up, "I wanna listen to that song, Mama!" So sure, fine, I stop and played a random track. It starts out very mellow with an acoustic guitar, and I realize this is one of the songs on the album with a guest performer. This time it was Jack Johnson.

Mags listened to the for about 20 seconds and then she informs me, "This isn't the Curious George song, Mama." This may not seem like a startling revelation to you - one would be hard pressed to confuse rap music along the lines of "I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk, get you love drunk off my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps (Check it out, uhh)" with music from a kid's movie - until you remember that Jack Johnson did the entire soundtrack for Curious George. Mags figured out that it was the same musician after listening to all of 20 seconds of the opening guitar chords!

Parental contract aside, I'm pretty damned impressed. Obviously Mags has been fed the soundtrack at daycare, which is fine with me. But I know adults who can't place music like that. It makes me wonder if she may have picked up her Aunt K*m's musical talents. From what I hear, she's always had a natural talent for music; being able to play a handful of different instruments, play songs after she's heard them once, that sort of thing. Or maybe this is just a one-off fluke.

But it was still pretty cool. Maybe time to expose Mags to some structured music classes or somesuch?

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is pretty cool. she's whip smart, that one.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the music classes, get that girl two turntables and a microphone! That there is what muse-os tend to call trainspotting, as in identifying a musical track based on some set of random criteria which relates it to another (i.e. same composer, singer, re-used sample loop, manager of each group once dated the same chick). It's a critical skill to develop if Mags is ever going to have a chance at being the greatest DJ in the world...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home