Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, September 28, 2007

My Own Brand of Sleeplessness

After reading about mammamer's nightmare trying to get her son to sleep, I feel a bit odd about posting my own sleeplessness issues. But really, they're pretty impressive in their own right, and I'm pretty sure this isn't a competition, so here goes:

I just received the official results of my sleep study in the mail a few days ago. These are all things Ipretty much knew, but it is VERY reassuring to have them be proven and printed out in fancy graphs and charts to validate them (not losing my mind! Whoo hoo!)

I was asleep atthe clinic for roughly 7.5 hours, and had taken an Ambien. In that time:

* I woke up 9 times.
* I spent all of 16 minutes in Stage 3 sleep.
* I NEVER entered Stage 4 sleep.
* I stopped breathing 135 times (that's about 18 times an hour.)
* The average time for not breathing was 13 seconds, with the longest being 30 seconds.

Oddly, I felt like I'd actually had a (relatively) good night's sleep the next day, and hoped they'd been able to get real-life results. I think they succeeded.

All of this added up means I have Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and I go in for my follow-up next Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be able to walk out of the clinic with my sexy CPAP machine tucked undermy arm. I'll never feel attractive again, but maybe I'll feel more rested.

Wish I could send Mer a machine to solve her troubles as well....

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez! What's with the not breathing?!?! That's a lot of not breathing. Your lungs must be great!

Well, it's good to have it on paper at least. Can't wait to see what they presribe.

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Sha - thanks so much for your thoughtful note and sharing your sleep issues with Mags and your own with us. It is really amazing how just god awful it is not to sleep. I hope the machine helped you, it really helped my friend Pam's husband!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home