Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Like A Bolt of Cartoon Lightning

I've come to an important realization.

Dr. Seuss books that are not illustrated by Dr. Seuss are fairly lame. There were a good number of these, written under the name Theo LeSeig (which is 'Geisel' - his actual last name - spelled backwards,) and are often more Beginner Books for young readers than his regular stuff.

Oh sure, the kids still like 'em. But what do they know? Seuss prose without Seuss art feels just kind of 'eh' to me. Hell, *I* could make up nonsense rhyming books if I didn't have to illustrate them. Yawn.

Who's with me? Would the Lorax be the same if someone else illustrated it? The Grinch? Or the Star-Bellied Sneeches?

And for those interested, check out The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss. I've hung copies of some of these prints as art in our house. Its a great book, and shows an incredible array of different types of art that Seuss did, ranging from sculpture to political in nature. I'm particularly fond of the faux taxidermy heads he made of some of his creatures.

He was a neat guy.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Traveling Em said...

I'm with you! I really enjoy the art in his house and I'd love to see your mad rhyming, Dr. Seuss emulating skills on this blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home