Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wrap Up

I'm doing laundry as we speak, which in and of itsself is not very exciting or interesting. However, as these are the costumes for the show I was working on and I am washing them as the final thing I have to do before being completely finished with this job, its almost...exciting!

Yes, tonight at the cast party I will be returning the last of the costumes (the ones that weren't claimed by the cast, that is!) to the director to do with as she pleases. Earlier today I returned all of my rental costumes to their respective owners. The fat lady has sung.

The show went really quite well. There were 4 performances this weekend at the Drag0n Theater in Palo Alto. Sunday got a bit ridiculous with the heat wave we had here; it must've been easy 90' in the theater. No air moving. Some of the characters in several layers. Fairly unpleasant. But with the exception of the matinee, we had a full house every night. The audience laughed at the 'right' parts and applauded generously at the end of each story.

As for the costumes, I was really quite pleased with myself. The costumes themselves turned out almost exactly like I had drawn them, but more importantly, I was ready for opening night without being in a panic or killing myself with all-nighters at any point during the costumeing process. Sure, I might have done things a little more efficiently - renting and shopping and the like - but I tried to budget a lot of extra time into my schedule for accidents and unknowens and just getting burned out, and it seemed to have worked. Looking at my history of being the absolute queen of last minute work, I am feeling pretty damned smug right now.

A brief selection of costumes from the final costumes from the show can be found here. I've already included them in two job applications I just sent out today; part of the neverending cycle of trying to find the next gig (fingers crossed.)

Cast party is tonight, which I am looking forward to -- and not just because of the booze. It was strange and kind of sad to have to pack up my costumes after the last performance on Sunday. I've invested the last 4 weeks into this, and have spent a lot of time with these folks. Sad that it is ending in a way (although that part where I didn't have to - and therefore didn't - get out of bed Monday was exceptionally fabulous!) I've really enjoyed myself. Can't wait to see what the next one is. Would definitely work with this cast again.

Oh, but if we do, I can all but guarantee it won't be atthe same theater. Turns out they didn't quite get that we would not only have open piles of real dirt on set for the show, but that it would be thrown through the air as well. By the end of 5 days of in house rehearsals and the performances themselves, there was at least a fine coating of dust on every object and surface in that theater. The stage area itsself? The one that was painted flat black and showed every speck of dust? That had to be mopped 4 times when we were striking. Still didn't get it all. And after sweeping the place? The air was heavy with dust. It was like being on the playa -- except in a box. Ridiculous. (But fun!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home