Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Biting Back Laughter

Husband called me over. "I need back up,' he said after a long pregnant pause.

So I went over to the tent the girls were getting ready for their slumber party in. Minutes before, Miss V had come begging for another pair of scissors. "For paper!" Mags called from the nylon depths. Miss V shot me a look from the corner of her eye and then slyly smiled. After she scuttled back into the tent, I crooked my finger at Husband. "Do me a favor and stick you head in the tent, will ya?"

There, sitting in the wee rocking chair was Nat, Miss Vs 3 year old sister. The two 5 year olds sat smiling at me from the side of the hexagon. And all over the floor: hair. Lots and lots of hair. Apparently our sleepover theme had gone from 'camping' into 'beauty school dropout', as evidenced by the large swaths of hair that were missing from the side of Nat's head.

Really, I wasn't terribly surprised. They'd been acting up all evening, feeding off each other, and, well, aren't 5 year old supposed to give/get home-style haircuts? I had to try hard not to laugh. What stopped me more than anything was the blatant lying; a first for Mags. What to do?

We ended up pulling their tent privledges for the night, as well as any and all treats. Mags cried, but Miss V was basically unfazed. And wee Nat, well, she was a bit clueless as to what was going on. Couldn't really fault the 3 year old.

So now they're watching a short movie just so we could get a break for the evening. The hopes are that they'll all pass out and we can be done for tonight. This was the first time a sleepover had really gone 'wrong'. I'm kind of treating it as their one off, but Mags is going to get a serious talking to tomorrow once Miss V and Nat are gone.

Wish I'g gotten a picture of the dust pan full of hair, though... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home