Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Thank god for Husband

Husband forwarded me his respnse to a Washington Post article about the emerging trend of people staying mostly within their social class to get married. Attention whore or not, it warmed my heart to hear again how much he loves me, and was an especially soothing balm after feeling bruised from the latest email lobbed at me by my mom.

I heart you too, Hunny Bunny -- even when you are using my air. ;)

************************************************************************************

I don't want to call it dating down, but I came from an upper-middle-class background in Dallas (my mom was one of the first women to graduate from SMU law), while my wife's family is distinctly blue-collar Milwaukee. I have three degrees and my wife has none, although she's in school now.

My previous girlfriend had a Ph.D. and an M.D., but the relationship
never had that spark.

My wife is awesome. She has her pilot's licenses (all the way up
through commercial), and trained as an aviation mechanic as well. She
is creative and clever; she writes well, she designs clothing; she rode
her bike from SF to LA once. She bore our daughter without painkillers.
:) She is a terrific mom.

We share a lot of values, which is why I think the relationship works
so well, but they're not what I think of as class-values: honesty,
responsibility, not taking life too seriously ... I guess frugality
could be considered related to class. She learned it by necessity
growing up, and I don't know where I got it.

Deciding she wasn't 'from the right background' would have been the
biggest mistake of my life.

1 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is why you like Arbys so much??? ;-)

The class stuff is weird. Plus, as an outsider who didn't know who has what degrees or grew up where, I never realized that you both came from different "castes." I mean, who cares? You are both awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home