Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Ye Olde Synthesizer Muzik

Wow.

I scored at the thrift store the other day and found Ladyhawke on DVD, of all the random films. Mayhaps you are familiar with this film? An impossibly young M. Broderick? An unfairly gorgeous M. Pfeifer? A swaggering R. Hauer? Evil curses, quests, swordfights, medieval castles -- the whole shebang. Was one of my favorite (if not slightly cheesy) movies as a teen.

For $4, you know I put it in my shopping cart. Widescreen, even!

Turns out Husband really liked that movie back in its day as well. So, we put Mags to bed, parked our collective asses on the couch, and had a date. Or, maybe more correctly, we collectively collapsed. But you get the idea.

For the most part, the movie held up suprisingly well for its age. The plot still held my interest, kept moving at a good pace, the acting was decent -- hell, even the circa 1985 special effects were pretty well done and not really distracting at all.

But the music? (shudder)

Husband'll agree with me on this one -- painful. Truly. Seems we'd both blocked that soundtrack as far out of our minds as we possibly could. It went something like this:

Opening credits! (synthesizer!)
Jail break! (synthesizer!)
Wily fight scene! (synthesizer!)

You get the idea. Keep in mind we're talking roughly 13th century here, folks. Armour. Loincloths. Peasants. Moats. Now, every now and then, there would be scenes with classical music to lull you back into a sense of false security (Hazzah! Bring me a mead, Husband! Or ye'll be sleeping on the rushes after the movie!) Only to be shattered again later by - you guessed it - synthesizers!

Maybe I need to get me to the nearest RenFaire just to make sure I'm not missing something here....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home