Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Trouble With Moustaches

People are so WEIRD.

I'm not a good fundraiser. Never have been. As a Girl Scout oh-so-many moons ago, I was petrified of going door to door to sell cookies. Talking to strangers! A chance of rejection! Competition with my peers! Thank god for Mom selling them at work or they probably would've revoked my bridge and wings patches.

I did the AIDS ride back in '95? '98? and had the lofty fundraising goal of $2500. I did pretty good, but it was like pulling teeth (especially with some of my family: "AIDS? I can't support that -- those people deserve it!") and I still had to cover $500 of it myself.

So, when I registered for the Habitat for Humanity Build-a-Thon next month and realized I had to raise $800, I figured I'd run into problems. Was counting on it, in fact. So much so, that I jokingly threw out the promise that I'd do the whole event in contruction 'drag' - complete with moustache - when I sent out the 'sponsor me' link.

Well! Today someone queried me about how to donate via check instead of credit card, so I went to the H4H website to get the information. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? Why, a list of top fundraisers by name, and I'm somehow already in SECOND FUCKING PLACE! In, what, two days? I've managed to raise $400, and I've got promises for another $300. Hell, I should've emailed my friends promising to wear a fake moustache if they paid me money YEARS ago! Moustaches are hawt!

So now there's a damned good chance I'm gonna have to make good on my hairbrained hairlip promise. Who knew?! And me, so out of practice being a big freak! But, I said I'd do it if I raised $1000, and I meant it. I'm thinking now of calling myself 'Team Moustache' for the fundraiser. Maybe have some sort of moustache-of-the-day thing going on. Chest hair? Is chest hair too much? I never know...

Shameless (hair) plug! Sponsor me here! Fulfill your moustachioed fantasies! (And if you already have - sponsored me, that is - thanks again!)

1 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ill be in Team Moustache!

$10 promised.

I arrived back in SF yesterday (5th). Woohoo I fkin love this place.

The offer still stands of anything I can do to help or be there for you my friend - just type the words and ill be on the Caltrain.

Hope you are feeling good.

Must Dash!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home