Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hooray for ALternate Realities

Me and the 4 year old fashion consultant hoofed it over to Av3nue to buy me a dress for the Red/Gold wedding last night after dinner. For those not in the know, Av3nue is basically a 'big girl' clothing store (although one might argue that a size 14 is the size of the average American woman, so why is it in this store?) They had some fairly nice stuff; nice enough to keep them in mind if I were to need say, clothes for a job interview or the like.

Truth be told, I'd already been to the store Wednesday afternoon with the intention of buying something already. Here's the problem: I know that I am (cough) pounds overweight, but I really only wear tshirts and shorts and jeans and I've done a fantastic job of training myself to never actually look at my body below the neck in the mirror, so I've managed to avoid it pretty well. Really, I walk around with a totally different idea of what I look like in my head (idea girl!) and kindly put, this does not match reality at all. It was a huge shock to actually see my lumpy body wearing a dress in front of the full length mirror at the store. So much so that I got redressed, calmly rehung up the dresses, and sprinted for the door. Long live denial!

But jeans and a tshirt would be wildly inappropriate for this wedding so I grabbed the kid and headed out. I let Mags pick the dress, which was of course the one dress I hadn't tried on earlier in the week. It was also, of course, the dress I ended up buying. Turns out this store actually sells womens shoes that run between 9-13, which is a fucking miracle, so I bought a natty pair of red patent leather wedges (!!!) to go with my outfit. Sadly, their accessory selection was a bit weak, so I'll have to try and scrape something together this morning. Maybe that accessory will be a thick wool sweater, because on this, the day of the Red/Gold outdoor picnic wedding, the clouds have rolled in, the temps have dropped, and suddenly my sassy sundress sounds simply silly. Brrr.

Pictures to follow. :)

2 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Traveling Em said...

Pictures! Pictures! I can't wait to see Red's dress! Damn it, now!

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From on big girl to another - Layne Bryant has nicer clothes (in my opinion). I am so afraid of ever having my LM pick a dress for me - I can imagine Maggie has better taste!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home