Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Guess I'll Be Maturbating With the Other Hand for a While...

Went and done burned myself real good on Sunday.

I was making homemade soup at a friend's house (a brief moment of domestic delerium) and had transfered a bunch of the recently boiling stuff into the blender. After frappe-ing it, I tried to separate the top from the bottom, but they weren't budging. Now, the blender *I* am familar with needs you to twist the top to unlock it from the base. Turns out, however, that if you twist my friend's blender in this manner, all you do is separate the glass from its base. Read: the glass came off and all the boiling soup poured down out of the bottom onto the base of the blender -- and my hand that was steadying it.
One of my initial thoughts was: Dammit. I just wasted a lot of soup. Glad I tripled the batch. Still need to work on my priorities a bit.
I don't think I've ever burned myself this badly before. _FUCK_ did that hurt! And it kept hurting, and hurting, and hurting. I couldn't take my hand out of the ice water for more than about 4 minutes before it was just excruciating. Did not get much accomplished after that. Yesterday found the hand to be fairly useless, as it was incredibly stiff and tender. Somewhat better today, although I can't make a fist with the hand yet.
Its really kind of impressive and facinating. I've started to get some blistering on my index finger, and some of the skin is starting to turn kind of black-ish. The swelling is giving me chubby fingers, too. And I really kind of like how there are very definite lines outlining the whole thing; no fading off pinkly into the rest of my skin. I'm sort of oddly hoping I end up with some sort of scar, although as it is just basically a bad sunburn, I bet I don't. But I still stand by my previous statement that scars are cool. I totally get to show off and get sympathy now! Can't do *that* with a brain tumor.

Also, this is after the rest of my week (and I appologize for the TMI here), which included: sleeping like shit for 5 days, a fair amount of post-Habitat soreness, allergies *and* a chest cold, having to see a dermatologist for the open sore that my sleep mask gave me on the bridge of my nose -- oh, and did I mention a yeast infection?!?
I have much higher hopes for this week...

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't make a fist, eh? damn, and i was going to invite you the street fight i was planning.

hope it heals up real quick after you get sufficient, and yet not too much, sympathy.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GEEZUS!!! I'll bet it didn't even occur to you to go to the ER, did it????

You should definitely see a doc and have it checked out. Do NOT mess around with a burn on your hand - especially over digits that need to move. I know from experience. Sure, the burn on my hand was a serious oil burn, BUT your skin & fluids & cells will still need to do major repair work b/c you use your hand regularly.

Once it starts blistering and seeping (yes, it'll be lovely. All that fluid that is now swelling up your hand will slowly leeeeeaaak out of one or many holes) it will be vulnerable to infection. There are a lot of simple creams and such the doc can give you to help protect it. Wrapping it couldn't hurt either, you know.

Don't make me come over there! :P

Yes. I'm a nag, but I know about burns and your thoughts are still on that soup, I'll bet!

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That looks horrid. Is your ring welded onto your hand?

Have you seen a doctor? Please do, for the love of all that is holy.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I really still think you should go to the dr. for this one. Hand scar tissue is some serious business, didn't you read those Pern books?

My doctor is nice if you want a rec.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home