Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger

I have to do an informational interview with someone who works in the field I'd like to eventually go into for a class I am taking this quarter. Luckily I have a teacher who was very happy to give me the direct phone number of the costume shop at the SF Opera. Hooray!

....

Can I just tell you it took me 5 days to screw up the courage to call, and even then I've spent the whole morning finding other things to do other than to pick up the phone and cold-call the Opera. (I'm never as productive as when I am procrastinating from doing something else.)

If I do actually get someone who agrees to do this - you know, someone with a name - I'll be kind of nervous, but I know that I just have to be well-prepared before I go in and I should be fine. But I hate cold calling people. My god! Heart racing! Palms sweating! Clenched stomach! There's a reason I identify with being an introvert. Blech.

As it turns out, I think I may have unintentionally (no, seriously!) called during lunch hour, so I got to leave a message. Kind of a best case scenario as far as I'm concerned. Made my request and I didn't have to talk to a living being. Believe me, I debated whether or not to call after hours and leave a message, but that screams 'completely terrified', even to me. Not the kind of impression I want to make.

So, now I wait. Maybe have a stiff drink, too. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home