Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Eco-LIARS!

Bamboo flooring indeed.

Husband and I were at HD yesterday checking out a few things for the yurt, including flooring. The idea has been to get bamboo flooring pretty much all along; it's renewable, looks good, lasts long, etc.

But in holding it in hand at the store I noticed something: only the top 1/4" is actually bamboo! In the words of Mags: what the...?!? Out of 3/4" (possibly even a full inch) of flooring, only that small fraction is bamboo? Gee, that seems less like flooring and more like...laminate. Veneer, even!

After a while I realized, well, maybe solid bamboo is not very realistic. I mean, it is hollow, so in order to have solid bamboo, you'd need to have some seriously big mothafucking pieces of bamboo lying around. Sort of a la redwood size, I'd harbor to guess.

Still seems misleading to call something that is at least 3/4 regular wood 'bamboo flooring', though. Enough for me to stomp around wasting emotional energy and grumbling about it in a self-righteous manner, anyhow (because I've got nothing better to do with my time or emotions these days.)

Ooh, maybe I can make picket signs out of bamboo and go protest at HD. Hmmm, what should my slogan be? I know -- 'I've been bamboo-zled!' Tee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home