Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Orange Ya Glad I Didn't Say Theater?

Turns out we have a developing card shark on our hands. Not poker, not bridge -- oh no. Uno. Mags is totally in love with the game Uno. And she's amazingly good at it too (and that's not just my uterus talking, either.)

The neighbors had a very similar game at their house - albeit with a fairly nerdy outerspace theme - thay we were invited to play a few weeks ago. Not only did Mags really take to it, when she lost she didn't freak out and start thrashing on the floor or pouting and sobbing (my daughter is known for refusing to play 'winning' games, because she so hates to lose. I have no idea where she gets it from.) In light of this fantastic development, I ran to the store and grabbed a copy of the game. Sure enough, she was off and running with it, and within two quick rounds, no longer wanted my help! She can't quite hold all the cards in her hands, so she lays them out on the floor behind a tall book, which works for everyone. But other than the cards can totally hold her own when playing against the grown ups.

Can I just tell you about the look of glee that shines from my daughter's face when she gets to play a skip or a reverse or a draw two on one of her parents? She can hardly contain herself. And the draw 4s? Oh happy day! Mostly its just great to see her enjoying herself and not getting upset. I admit I hold my breath when someone lays a skip or a draw x on her, waiting for the usual freak out. But with one small exception out of the hundreds of rounds she has since made us play, she hasn't gone there. She's also pretty good about shaking hands with everyone at the end of a round and saying 'good game', whether she won or lost (a rule that we made up to try and curb her poor sportsmanship at the height of her pouting, but we found that we try to use it with each other too.)

I wish my grandma could see her playing, as its part of my childhood memories with her, and god willing my grandma will still be around the next time we head back to MKE. The image of the two of them playing cards together warms my heart something terrible!

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Traveling Em said...

Oh, so cute! I love the image of having her cards laid out behind a book. Pictures please! Is she starting with board games too??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home