Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Crack the Whip

So, one of the gifts I got for Mags was a real jump rope. She has one already (not sure where she got it,) but its one of those kind of cheap-o ones that don't have the heavy rope? You remember those: the rope would kind of float above your head instead of whizzing past your ears, no matter how hard you spun your arms. So I got her a nice one, with a good, heavy rope and wood handles.

Now mind you, Mags is no where near the whizzing-past-your-ears stage. But that's not for lack of trying. I've been trying to teach her how to correctly use a jump rope, and thought it might be easier if I broke it down into separate steps. That may ahve worked too good, as now jump roping is two totally separate actions for her.

1. The Jump. This involves correctly aligning the rope just so in front of her, sticking her tongue out of the corner of her mouth in concentration, and then...UGH! Jumping happens.

2. The Whip. Hands go back over the shoulders (instead of at her sides,) and *crack*, she flicks it forward with all her might, as well as a mighty 'Hi-Ya!' Its as if she is casting a fishing line, except its more bull whip than fishing pole.

At first I was very encouraging -- that whole getting it over her head part was pretty tricky for her. In fact, at one point, she had this sort of backwards jump rope thing going on; she'd jump forward over the rope, and then step back over it so she could flip the rope behind herself, which was much easier. She didn't really get very far that way. But now I'm afraid; somewhat for other kids that might be any where near her when she tries this, but mostly for the hall carpet she is slowly beating all the fibers out of.

I think the rope is long enough for me to try and show her myself, except that I'd knock myself out cold with my boobs a-slapping, even with a bra on. Mama doesn't do a lot of running these days, let's just say.

Anyhow, I should off to bed; the actual party is tomorrow, and really, the house is no where near ready for guests. And I don't say that in a 'dear-me-the-apres-dinner-mint-bowl-needs-to-be-
polished' politely modest kind of way, but more in the 'christ-have-you-seen-the-kitchen-counters-this-month-and-what-IS-that-smell?' kind of way. Plus there are cupcakes to make, balloons to buy, one particularly feisty toddler to hold at bay.....

I'll set my alarm for early. Like 3am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home