Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Puddle Day!

Mags said something this morning that made me love her all the more (not to mention feel pretty damn good about my parenting.) In the face of a huge rain/wind storm, my kid turned to me this morning and said, "Let's walk to school today to get some EXERCISE!"

Blink, blink.

I'm not sure Mags has ever asked to walk to school, although I've definitely made her do it a bunch. But when your kid tells you they wanna a) walk b) in the rain to c) get exercise, you shut up and do it without a second thought. Bang! Slap! Zip! Pop! Into our wet gear we go!

And she loved every 25 minutes of that walk. Turns out my daughter has never met a puddle she didn't like, and with rainboots? Well, it was kiddo-nirvana. "Oooh, is this one deep, mama?" "Is it ok if I go in this one, mama?" "Hey, we didn't step in this one over here!" "Its a great puddle day, isn't it, mama?" "Can we walk home after school, mama? The same way?" I've never enjoyed being completely soaked so much before in my life.

Granted, even with boots nearly to her knees, her pants were soaked upon arriving at school, not to mention the hem of her dress. Luckily they ask parents to bring in a few changes of clothes to have on hand, so I just whisked her into some of those. And seeing as how she sounds so willing, you bet we'll walk home again, too. Plenty of clothes to change into on this end. Besides, walking home in the rain is just the weak excuse I need to curl up on the couch with my daughter, our robes, and some hot chocolate this evening. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home