Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

End of An Era


Yes, sadly, Walter Cronkite has died. But that was someone else's era. (Insert joke about Walter who?)
Today while at Whole Paycheck, I glanced over the newspapers to see what local headlines there might be. I picked up the San Francisco paper as I often do, but something was wrong. I checked the header - ok, definitely the Chronicle, didn't have San Jose by mistake - so what was it? It was strange; like someone had moved the furniture in my house. And then I figured out what it was.
The paper had shrunk! I don't mean thickness; although the paper has been getting leaner and leaner over the past while, I mean the actual dimensions of the paper. Its now only about 2/3 of its normal size. What was throwing me was that the Chronicle was now the size of the local community rag. Totally wrong. Just felt *off* in my hands. Wrong size. Too small, IMO.
I know all the papers across the country are in trouble - if they haven't shut down already. And I guess I'm glad that the Chron seems to be slowly fading as opposed to just not being there, but I'm not sure. It almost seems like it would be better if it just stopped being, if that makes sense. I'm used to going places and not finding the newspaper. I'm not used to going and seeing a thin shadow of its former glory. More sad that way, I think.
So strange to think that papers will just cease to be during my lifetime. No, I'm not a regular reader, but they've just been a fixture in my life for 30 odd years.
Similarly: For those not in the know, I snagged a free telephone booth off of Craigslist a few weeks back. I was super excited; another one of those things I have strong memories and childhood associations with. I figured Mags would get a lot of fun out of it too. What a great thing for a kid to play with!
Me: (triumphantly) Mags! Mags! Look what I got!!
*pause*
Mags: (unconvinced) What is it? Why do you have a big box?

Me: No, no - look inside!

Mags: Is that a...phone?

Me: Yeah, this is a phone booth!!

Mags: (another pause) Why is there a phone in a box?
Then it hit me - she had no idea what a phone booth was! She'd never seen one before! And then, I felt very, very, VERY old.
Talk about someone else's era.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Meredith said...

I know, it is crazy. I had to explain record albums the other day to LM and he looked at me like I was insane and said "but music comes from daddy's ipod!"

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glorious. That story alone is worth getting the phone booth. LOVE it!

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous zombiegrrrl said...

that was me - zombiegrrrl. stupid "identity" forms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home