Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Now *That's* a Small Market

Apparently I have found my niche in life, and that is sewing wedding dresses....for extremely short women. I met with the new woman about working on her wedding dress, and I swear to god, I think she only reaches my armpit. No, really. When I kneel, I am at bust level with her -- while she is wearing 3" heels. I never thought I'd have to screen potential sewing clients for height, y'know? "I'm sorry, but I don't sew for women over 5'3" ." Maybe I should print my work phone number on my belt --you know, so that my clients would see it.

I feel sort of obscenely hulking and large around Nikki, although she is extremely friendly and pleasant and not only knows what she wants her dress to look like, but has a mostly assembled muslin/mock up already made for me to fit her in and has purchased all of her fabric already. It doesn't hurt that I really like her tastes, either. I think this dress is gonna rock.

Seriously though, about finding my niche? I'm not really looking to get into wedding dresses. I'm happy to do them, I like getting paid to sew, I like having people ooh and ahh over what I make, but its not something I've dreamed about doing when I grew up. Granted, two dresses does not a career make, but the idea that I may accidentally fall into this as a possible career has crossed my mind. Stranger things have happened (I'm still in Cali! I'm married! I bore a child! I'm still in #@! school!) so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home