Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Fascinating Article!! (If you're a mom, anyhow)

Someone on the local Mom's Club sent this article to the list. I almost skipped over it, but am really glad I didn't, because once again I stumbled across someone else saying what I'd been afraid to say for a long time for fear of being labeled a 'bad mom' or somesuch.

The article is titled "The Case Against Breastfeeding", which immediately set off all of my hippie sirens and alarms. Yes, a goodly portion of the article talks about discrepancies in the claims of benefits for breastfeeding your child. But what caused me to sit up was to hear another breastfeeding mom talking about how much it, well, kind of sucked to have your life taken over by breastfeeding. To admit to being angry and resentful watching your husband freely walk out of the house to go to work and live a normal life while you had a child strapped to your breast. To say out loud how many hours of a day you actually lose to feeding alone, much less other child related activities. To say that breast feeding takes most of the equality out of marriage, regardless of how well intentioned it is or how you both decided on the choice.

If you've got the time (its a 3 page article,) read it. By all means, I'm not trying to turn anybody off of breastfeeding - I breast fed for 2 years; I'm still way to programmed to think that there are health benefits to it, plus there is a level of bonding to it that I will forever be grateful I got with my child - but I found it INSANELY refreshing to finally hear someone admit not only out loud but in a nationaly published MAGAZINE that there *is* a downside to breastfeeding, if not several.

I'd also love to hear what folks think about the article after reading it. Please leave comments.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Becky hates breastfeeding, but only because she doesn't like the competition.

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Meredith said...

I hate breastfeeding. I tried and failed with LM to breastfeed and beat myself up good about it all thinking I failed him. Somehow it is working with A and I have breastfed her going on 3 months and I seriously hate the experience other than the fact that I have been able to loose all my baby weight with A (still have the LM baby weight to go through) in 3 months but seriously, I can relate to all her points against breastfeeding. I feel like I should do it because I can with her and couldn't with LM but I am counting the days/months until I can stop (trying to make it to at least 4 months, 6 months tops).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home