Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Faux Infrared Experiment

This past weekend, I tried shooting infrared-style photographs at our campout (you can't do true infrarred with digital without permamnetly modifying your camera, which I am not willing to do.)

To be honest, most of my pictures just turned odd shades of pink and/or blue. Those magically turned into black and whites with a sweep of my (Photoshop) magic wand. However, there were several that worked and gave me the white foliage look I was going for. I have a few ideas as to why those worked more than others, but mostly I'm still in the dark. Eh, it was worth a try, and I'll give it another shot some other time.

Bored? Check em out here.

2 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger Traveling Em said...

Ooh, I so loved looking at the experiment. Maybe you've inspired me to go out and be more experimental with my camera...

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nice!

I'm not sure how you achieved these results (does your camera have a built-in infrared mode?), but if you want to play some more with IR images in Photoshop, there are third-party plug-ins for this purpose as well. ChromaSoftware (http://www.chromasoftware.com/ir_film.htm) and Alien Skin (http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/) both make these kinds of plug-ins. I've played a bit with Alien Skin Exposure, and have achieved some satisfactory results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home