Staring Down the Barrel of a (Hot Glue) Gun

Sometimes your mind can be so open that your brain falls out.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sleep Solution?

Dare I dream? Literally?

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments re: sleeping. Even virtual hugs are helpful during this. But I think I may have stumbled onto something...

So, me on the big smoothie kick. I've still been doing it, at least 5x a week. Still working pretty good for me, minus the blaoting (another post.) About a week ago, I accidentally went two days in a row where I forgot to take my morning vitamins/supplements with said smoothie. I actually slept kind of decent by the second day. Feeling bad about missing my pills and such, I immediately got back on the wagon. Suddenly, my sleep went to shit again.

Being the astute person I am (sleep depravation card here), my brain sort of mulled this over for about a week before staggering to the conclusion that, hey, maybe there's some sort of connection. And do we still have cheese puffs in the cabinet?!?

So for the last two days I've had almost no extra anything pill-wise to help me feel better**. No multi vitamin, no B vitamins, no D-ribose. Thought I'd testthe theory that these energy boosters, even though taken before 9am every day, might still be in my system while I'm trying to sleep. Not changing any of the other variables: still avoiding napping during the day, still no caffeine, still going to bed around 10ish. And the results?

Well, I haven't been crashing nearly as hard in the afternoons. Still tired by bed time, but able to mostly function through the evening. Feeling less foggy, although still some of that. But the best part is the sleeping. Two nights ago I only remember waking up 3-4 times, and last night, I have no recollection of waking up at ALL! Wonder of wonders! Still a bit tired in the morning, but not dear-god-kill-me kind of tired. More of a normal blech-is-it-really-morning? tired.

So I'm going to keep this up for another couple of weeks I think, to really see if I can notice a trend line, or a lack of one. Then may start adding things back one at a time - oh so slowly - to see if there's another change back in the Bad Sleeping direction. I'm twitching a little bit because I am so used to taking a vitamin and am trying so hard to get healthy that I feel like I am hurting myself by NOT taking one, but if it is the culprit, good bye vitamins! Same goes for the supplements!

If this is what the problem turns out to be, I've got some conflicting feelings about it. Immediately the 'I'm-an-idiot-for-doing-it-to-myself' though leaps in, but amazingly I'm not wallowing in it. If it turns out to be true, well then yes, idid kind of shoot myself in the foot, but I did it by trying to add things that were good for me, and who don't have this effect on 98% percent of the rest of the population (that I know of.) So I can't really beat myself up, 'cause who knew? Mostly I have this growing sense of relief that I may have figured out what is going on. Oh god, please let me have figured out what is going on!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

** still taking the glucosamine, and a probiotic for the bloating. Both of which I started after the sleep problems started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home